May 30th is the official day to celebrate the creative spirits in your world! It’s National Creativity Day! Raising my virtual glass and throwing some confetti in honor of the musicians, hairstylist, authors, actors/actresses, artist, DJ’s, filmmakers, photographers, carpenters, designers, chefs, caterers, bloggers, engineers, stylist and tons of other creatives in the world. When you really think about it everything besides nature started with a creative thought. What a cool day to stop and take time to toast the power of the imagination!
I have always loved creating things since I was a little girl. I would write, paint, re-arrange my room almost weekly, try to make things, one time at 6 years I even tried to make shoes out of cardboard! It has carried over into my grown-up life! I LOVE everything about creating events for women and girls and gathering beautiful details and extraordinary content to make my experiences special. I love hosting family and friends in my home – and making everyday gatherings something wonderful and memorable. Why be boring!
Sometimes in life we can bury our creativity with the day to day hum drum of life. So It is important to always make time to be creative and tap into your God given talents that you were born to bring to the world.
Here are 5 great tips to help nourish your creative spirit!
1. Work when you are inspired and excited! I know there are certain ebbs and flows in my creativity and I am learning that when the spirit is flowing within it’s time to capture new ideas, design new things and take the steps to execute a plan. As a woman I have noticed my natural rhythms and at certain times of the month my energy levels are down, creativity is out the window and I need take time to rest and recharge. I am learning to not push myself during this time and mother myself if needed. Then a few weeks later I am the energizer bunny ready to roll! There are even certain times of year or seasons when I am more inspired. Take note of these times and work with your flow to make the most of your creativity.
2. Get out of your comfort zone and try something different! Set aside time to write down at least 10 things that you would like to try this summer and get out there and try them! I am normally a person that does not like to try new things. I always order the same food at restaurants but lately I have been trying new dishes and trying to cook new things. I am normally a person that always wears black or dark colors but now starting to branch out and wear different patterns and more bold colors. Making little changes in the everyday experiences helps to feed our creative spirits.
3. Find creativity in the everyday moments in life! Try and find ways to infuse your creative spirit into the boring task of life. Find innovative ways to do the laundry, cook, clean, and work to make things more fun and interesting. Changing your mindset about everyday tasks can do wonders!
4. Find and connect with other creative people on a regular basis! I was blessed to be a part of Kustom Kreations recent Portfolio and Perspectives event last month where event stylist came together to do styled shoots. The creative energy in that space was palpable and on fire! I loved seeing all the beautiful details and how they came together. Surround yourself with creative people especially when you are feeling not so inspired! Check out upcoming events on Eventbrite that interest you and get out and connect!
5. Create space and take care of your creative gifts! I am learning to spend more time in mediation/prayer to get still, quiet and connect with God. He ultimately put every talent and gift in us when we were created. He knows best how to nurture, cultivate and grow our gifts. Getting the right rest and having time to dream and be still allows things to flow more smoothly. When I am busy or tired I have no space, energy or desire to do anything but the basics. It’s important to take care of ourselves and be replenished! Also, schedule time to disconnect from social media and the busyness of life to find quiet spaces especially in nature to flow in YOUR gifts not someone else’s that you see online.
Cheers to your creative spirit - may you unleash more of your greatness into the world today and every day! Feel free to leave a comment and tell us what your creative gifts are or some of the new creative things that you would like to explore this summer!
By Kara Norman- Empower Her, Inc.
Kara Norman Atlanta Based Women Empowerment Thought Leader and bi-weekly blog contributor.
Kara Norman has been working with Women and Girls for a number of years. Her nonprofit organization Empower Her Inc , have led to many opportunities in the space of making social changes as it deals with women and their many roles in society. You can learn more about Kara Norman and Empower Her Inc. at http://www.empowerherinc.com/