I seafood :) Just thought we start off with a word play joke!!! Ha!!
This Tuesday we are happy to bring you weekly recipe ideas from our weekly contributor Smarty Marty! This week she bring us a Seafood Boil! So for all you seafood lovers this one is for you! Enjoy!
So in order to create this meal you will need the following ingredients:
- 8 quarts water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 yellow onions, unpeeled
- 4 celery stalks, halved crosswise
- 2 lemons, unpeeled and quartered
- 12 garlic cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thickly sliced
- Crab boil spice mix (see above) or 6 oz. packaged whole-spice crab boil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sea salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. black peppercorns, or to taste
- 2 to 3 lb. small red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled
- 24 live blue crabs or 4 to 6 small live Dungeness crabs
- 6 ears of corn, husked and halved crosswise
- 5 lb. large shrimp, with heads attached
Pour the water into a large stockpot. Add the oil, onions, celery, lemons, garlic, bay leaves, ginger, crab boil spice mix, salt, cayenne and black peppercorns and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes and boil for 5 minutes. Add the crabs and boil for 15 minutes. Add the corn and boil for 5 minutes.
Add the shrimp and boil for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
Using tongs or a skimmer, retrieve the seafood and vegetables from the pot and serve them warm atop several thicknesses of newspaper or large sheets of parchment paper, or transfer to a large serving platter. The seafood can also be served at room temperature or chilled. Use a nutcracker or a table knife to crack the shells. Serves 8 to 12.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Foods of the World Series, New Orleans, by Constance Snow (Oxmoor House, 2005).
Styled and Prepared By Smarty Marty
Food Recipe and Direction By www.williams-sonoma.com
Atlanta Based Photography Elisha Akram (Kustom Kreation Photography) weekly food/recipe contributor Smarty Marty(My Older Sister) combines her love for cooking, photography and plating meals each and every Tuesday for this Segment entitled Foodie Tuesday. Join us each week for a variety of dishes prepared by Smarty Marty